The Adult Confirmation at Newman Catholic Student Center and Christ the Teacher Parish is for Catholics who have already been baptized and received Holy Communion and are now ready to begin preparation for the sacrament of Confirmation.
Your sponsor must be a confirmed Catholic over the age of 16, and someone willing to walk the journey of faith with you. If you don’t have a sponsor, please let me know as soon as possible so we can introduce you to a volunteer sponsor from our parish community.
We will need a copy of your baptism certificate before spring break. Please write or call the church at which you were baptized and ask them to send you your certificate. They’re used to these requests in the months before Easter.
Books and Materials
We will provide you with the Youcat (an abridged version of the Catechism of the Catholic Church), and several handouts. There is a $20 charge for these materials.
We’ll meet once per week for the 10 weeks before Easter at a day and time to be determined once all the applications are in (according to class schedules). Your sponsors are always welcome to come to the classes. Both you and your sponsor must be available for most of the the day on Holy Saturday (see schedule below).
Mystagogy: (“interpretation of mystery”) is the final period of the initiation of adults (Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults [Study Edition, Chicago 1988] 37). During this period the meaning of the Sacraments is explained to those who have newly received them.
- Week 1: Intro and welcome; share faith journeys.
- Week 2: The Profession of Faith: The Trinity
- Week 3: The Profession of Faith: Understanding the Church
- Week 4: Celebrating the Christian Mystery: Liturgy and Sacraments
- Week 5: Celebrating the Christian Mystery: The Sacraments Part 2
- Week 6: Life in Christ: Principles of Catholic Morality
- Week 7: Life in Christ: Applications of Catholic Moral Principles
- Week 8: Prayer in the Catholic Tradition
- Week 9: Prayer in the Catholic Tradition
- Week 10: Preparing for Confession
- Sunday, April 14: Palm Sunday Mass
- Date TBA: Parish Reconciliation Service
- Thursday, April 18: Holy Thursday Mass of the Lord’s Supper, 7:30 p.m.
- Friday, April 19: Good Friday Celebration of the Lord’s Passion, 12 noon.
- Saturday, April 19:
- 10 am: Preparation Rites
- 11:30: Lunch
- 12 noon: Rehearsal
- 2 pm: Break for resting and getting dressed up
- 7:36 pm: Easter Vigil Mass and Rite of Initiation
- 10 pm: Reception in Community Room
- Sunday, April 28: Divine Mercy Sunday. Mystagogy. Sacrament Certificates.